How to pronounce my names? NILAVRA BHATTACHARYA (Voice Courtesy: Google Translate)
I am a PhD student at the School of Information, University of Texas at Austin, USA (Texas iSchool), supervised by Dr. Jacek Gwizdka. My research interests span HCI, human information interaction, and applied (deep) machine learning in HCI.
I am interested in quantitatively studying and visualizing the interplay of (a) human’s cognitive abilities, (b) their information needs, (c) their processes of information search and retrieval, and (d) consumption or sense-making of the retrieved information. I use implicit, topic-independent sources of data like eye-tracking, GSR, EEG, etc., to understand how the human mind functions, and use statistics and (deep) machine-learning to gain insights from the data.
The Institutions I called ‘Home’ over the years:
M. H. Memorial School
ICSE (Std X), ISC (Std XII)
Apr ’99 – Mar ’11
- 2019.12: Paper titled Relevance Prediction from Eye-movements Using Semi-interpretable Convolutional Neural Networks accepted at 2020 ACM Conference on Human Information Interaction Retrieval (CHIIR 2020) at Vancouver, Canada.
- 2019.07: Paper titled Why Does a Visual Question Have Different Answers? accepted at 2019 IEEE Internation Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV 2019) at Seoul, Korea.
- 2019.03: Paper titled Analyzing Gaze Transition Behavior Using Bayesian Mixed Effects Markov Models accepted at 2019 ACM Symposium on Eye Tracking Research & Applications (ETRA 2019) at Denver, Colorado, USA. Best Short Paper Award.
- 2018.11: Paper titled Measuring Learning During Search: Differences in Interactions, Eye-Gaze, and Semantic Similarity to Expert Knowledge accepted at 2019 ACM Conference on Human Information Interaction Retrieval (CHIIR 2019) at Glasgow, Scotland, UK.
- 2018.05 – 08: Summer internship in Berlin, Germany at QuoData GmbH (DAAD RISE Professional Praktikant).
- 2018.04: Short paper titled Relating Eye-Tracking Measures With Changes In Knowledge on Search Tasks accepted at 2018 ACM Symposium on Eye Tracking Research & Applications (ETRA 2018) at Warsaw, Poland.
- 2018.03: Awarded the DAAD RISE Professional 2018 Scholarship.
- 2017.12: Short paper accepted at 52nd Annual Convention of Computer Society of India (CSI 2017). Best Paper Runner-Up Award.